Do you live in Greater Philadelphia and know someone who is dedicated to improving the health and wellness of others in their community? The Be Well Philly Health Hero Challenge is back for the 5th year and they are searching for Philly’s most passionate health and fitness advocates!
Nominations are now open and I’m so excited to be able to spread the word about such an inspirational program. Winners and runners-up will be able to donate $10,000 and $2,500 respectively to the charity of their choice. Keep reading to learn more about the Be Well Philly Health Hero Challenge, presented by Independence Blue Cross and sponsored by Prime Therapeutics!
5th Annual Be Well Philly Health Hero Challenge
A Health Hero is a local champion of health, fitness and personal well-being. Philadelphia magazine’s Be Well Philly Health Hero Challenge was created to celebrate individuals from all walks of life who are helping Philadelphians become happier and healthier. Here is a list of previous winners of this prestigious award:
- 2015, Dr. Christine Meyer, Founder of Team CMMD
- 2014, Pia Martin, Health and Physical Education teacher at Science Leadership Academy
- 2013, Leslie Marant, co-ambassador for Black Girls RUN! Philadelphia
- 2012, Dr. Beth DuPree, MD, Director of the Breast Health Program at Holy Redeemer Health System
Nominations for individuals are now open and will be accepted until July 13th at 11:59 p.m. Last year, over 600 nominations were received, and there are sure to be even more nominees this year!
Here’s how it works:
- Submit your nominees at: www.phillymag.com/healthhero/
- Philadelphia magazine editors select 16 semi-finalists from the list of nominees.
- Readers vote from 16 semi-finalists to the final four, and then finally to the ultimate winner.
- The winner is named the 2016 Health Hero and Independence Blue Cross and Philadelphia magazine will donate $10,000 to the charity of his or her choice. This year, three runner-ups will also receive a $2,500 donation each for a charity of their choosing.
- The winner will be announced and honored at an amazing event in November, where all finalists will be joined by their advocates in an inspirational celebration.
Rules and regulations require all nominees to be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Delaware.
Good luck to all of the nominees! It’s so inspiring to see how much of an impact one can make by promoting healthy living.
Who would you consider a Health Hero in your life?